Fun with Linux

Any off topic chat not related to anything, no spamming please.

Fun with Linux

Postby StaticExtasy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:01 am

So i decided since my gaming rig is down again i would try another linux distro on my old POS computer :P ArchLinux this time. Reason why is because i wanted to go deeper into the system.

100% Customized for ME! lol Heres the screenshot. I have a widescreen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 so the screenshot is going to be cut off, you can always rightclick it and open it in a new tab to see the whole thing.

crowcore.png

Its sporting an LXDE Desktop Environment+ Openbox + GDM. I choose LXDE because it is super lightweight, bootup into the D.E. is MAJOR FAST, Kind of like to stick with the simple things. Plus its a GTK environment so i get to use all my fav Gnome software like gedit and rhythmbox. Deep down its a major configuration, i've modified it a lot. No composting on the environment either, not into the special effects. I ran into a few snags since the latest ISO snapshot of the packages is out of date but I got a work around for that. I decided to play around with some ascii art too with a bash script :P. It was fun building my system from a core. Next step is building MY OWN haha.

Another special thing with ArchLinux is its a rolling release distro, meaning i never ever ever ever have to redownload another ISO to upgrade this system. All packages when they've been released & tested are pushed into the repositories. Bam upgraded just like that. Never again will i have to download Fedora, or Ubuntu when they push a new major release. :D I'm really liking this, plus if i want to ever switch to KDE or GNOME or some other DE its a breeze..

If you have experience with linux then i'm going to say GET ARCH LINUX. You won't go back. Plus you build it up to what you want to be. No extra BS included.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-StaticExtasy
Michael P.
DMH Computers
mike@dmhcomputers.com
StaticExtasy

Re: Fun with Linux

Postby smiffy6969 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:22 am

Nice..... Ever tried lfs (linux from scratch)...... I actually got it to a desktop with xfce on. Built it from raw ingredients, took several days and some compiles where epic long, but just wanted to know more about Linux, and lfs is the best way to learn.

Smiffy
smiffy6969

Postby Adminer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:56 am

StaticExtasy wrote:So i decided since my gaming rig is down again i would try another linux distro on my old POS computer :P ArchLinux this time. Reason why is because i wanted to go deeper into the system.

100% Customized for ME! lol Heres the screenshot. I have a widescreen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 so the screenshot is going to be cut off, you can always rightclick it and open it in a new tab to see the whole thing.
If you have experience with linux then i'm going to say GET ARCH LINUX. You won't go back.

;-)
I'm waiting on the bus to the past... ;-) ZX Spectrum revolution, and my big TV - it was a good time in the past (when I study - our computer on Technical University was like a big house, and I was learning there to print Fortran paper cards to run by optics reader all programs there - one line of Fortran code = one paper card ;-). I remember, that I had a lot of time for this. Now, I have a problem to have a free time ;-) It's to many interesting things to do, for example... RazorCMS, PHP, internet etc... :-). Old good DOS, and linux - I remember that time and this graphics: http://tinyurl.com/3zhvr6v
;-) I had one of the first commercial Suse Linux Distr. too - I buy one ;-), before internet come... in the time of FidoNet only (I have had my own BBS).
And I remember a great tool like a right hand - Norton Commander for DOS, and Midnight Commander for Linux. It was a good time...

BTW, If you have a problem with your gaming ring - it's may be a problem with your power suply - it's the first item to test when you have a problem with your graphics cards. It's a popular problem if you buy your computer in the supermarket. In my service, in Poland, I have very offen on my desk, nice looking tower, many lights ;-), powerfull graphics card... with a small orange cooler;-), and ... a very light power suply from east China ;-)
It's not be working more then warranty gone ;-).
Very heavy min. 550W in your hand, good cooler on graphics card - it's the basic.

Regards
Adminer

Postby StaticExtasy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:42 pm

Adminer wrote: It's to many interesting things to do, for example... RazorCMS, PHP, internet etc... :-). Old good DOS, and linux - I remember that time and this graphics: http://tinyurl.com/3zhvr6v

I know exactly what you mean, i have a problem myself with that. Trying to juggle my tasks. But that is the beauty of this, i get to do stuff at my own pace. Stuff gets done when i want it to get done.

As far as the gaming rig goes, i've tested the power supply already. I've been in contact with my part manufactures and we believe it might be either the MOBO is shot not providing enough power to componets or an old bug in powersupply where the PCI-E doesn't sync right with the video card.

I built this rig myself so i have all the testing equipment available when i purchased all the parts. Had to make sure i wasn't going to stick duds in my computer. The video card was already replaced once by XFXForce and they have helped me with what they could but now i'm on my own. Its one of those things where you wish you would have bought from an OEM company like Dell but there wouldn't have been any satisfaction in it lol.
-StaticExtasy
Michael P.
DMH Computers
mike@dmhcomputers.com
StaticExtasy

Postby Adminer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:15 pm

StaticExtasy wrote:As far as the gaming rig goes, i've tested the power supply already. I've been in contact with my part manufactures and we believe it might be either the MOBO is shot not providing enough power to componets or an old bug in powersupply where the PCI-E doesn't sync right with the video card.

Sometimes it's may be a simply bug.
1. Many graphics cards have connector to plug a cable from the power supply (6-pin, "-->PCI-E") - and someone is not connecting this cable there.
2. The MOBO may have such connector too, and someone is a person who not connect this cable from power supply there. First old construction od MOBO may have a problem like this - not enough power for graphics card - so many people do it by DIY, using cross cables from power supply: or change this from BIOS: http://tinyurl.com/4y5dnl2 but it's a little dangerous ;-)
3. Sometimes it's overclocking problem. Turn it off in your Bios.
4. Check your RAM. Test it with only one single module on board.

Sometimes you can buy fake graphics card from China - to much overclocked - so if it is NVIDIA - you can use NVIDIA BIOS Editor (NiBiTor software) to check this - or NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (NVFLASH) (NVFlash 5.95.0.1 software).
Simply solution - test this computer with another simply graphics card (borrow it from friends).
Sometimes next graphics card may help only.

Regards
Adminer

Postby StaticExtasy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:29 pm

If only This was my first rig i would have gladly read those steps and be like "DOH I didn't try any of that already" lol This computer wasn't my first rodeo, thanks for the suggestions though. :)
-StaticExtasy
Michael P.
DMH Computers
mike@dmhcomputers.com
StaticExtasy

Return to Off-Topic Discussions