Linux.....

Any off topic chat not related to anything, no spamming please.

Linux.....

Postby smiffy6969 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:56 pm

So just out of interest, what are peoples take on linux here, has any one here ever used it, if so what distro's, what do you like and what bugs the hell out of you....

I'm a bit of a tech freak, i'm also not your typical computer nerd either, but I love messing with things even since I was a kid, it was clear I would be an engineer even at an early stage, and I do like my operating systems. I started out with microsoft back in the days of DOS, and went right through to XP, it was at this point I got so unpleased with windows, viruses, repairs and the likes that I turned to linux.

Now I love linux to bits, it's very versatile, but again not your usual linux user either, if one distro works, i use it, if it starts becoming a chore or I find something better, off i go, but I always give feedback and if it warrants it, have also donated.

There isn't any real point to this post really, just more of a chit chat than anything else, some days I just can't seem to get my programming head to work right so I just except it at that, it's a bit like a writers block, so I use the time reading, writing and with the family.

So if anyone wants a chat about linux, an alternative to windows, viruses, malware, and having to repair their computer, I might be able to show you a good direction to go in that might not be so painful as you think. I generally feel that linux is at a point where it can be used as a replacement for most people, and it's free too, so no more forking out for the latest version of windows.

I promise no fanboism, no linux saves the world, no ubuntu is the new messiah returned, or the usual flaming or bickering that comes with linux. My only comment is, that in this day and age are you completly complacent about using you computer for anything like internet banking or purchasing online. Can you be truelly sure your data is safe, while linux is not a cure, it's a lot more safer off and online than windows is, it won't cost you a penny and you may actually find you like it.

If you have not the faintist Idea what i'm on about, then probe a little further...............

smiffy
smiffy6969

Re: Linux.....

Postby cannen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Let me put it this way... I like the idea of linux.

That is to say, I like being able to have a freely available OS that people contribute too, is light-weight, runs well on lower powered/older machines, and is secure.

However, I have found in practice, at this point, it isn't really for me. I actually have it installed on my main computer along with WindowsXP and mess with it from time to time. I always hear the mantra that "you can do anything thing with linux that you can do with windows. There is a replacement program for everything!". For something like an audio player, dvd player, browser, IM, etc - linux would be fine. But, I like using Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and tons of other little windows programs I've found over the years. Also, there isn't really a decent way to play games. Most games are developed for windows and DirectX. Sure, I *might* be able to use WINE for some of those, but it just seems to be a lot of work for something I can make work right away with a windows machine to start with.

I've also found problems with media on the internet. I've downloaded and installed the restricted drivers and all that, but not all sites play or display correctly. Some video is choppy, some won't embed. Along with that, you sometimes have the Firefox and IE problems. Where a page is developed with IE in mind, I sometimes can't even display it correctly. For example, we use a product distributors website at work and their site is designed for IE specifically. I can't even use firefox unless I have the IE Tab extension installed for this site. This extension, for those who don't know, is for rendering a webpage using IE from within Firefox. So, if I had to access this site while on a linux machine, I couldn't do it since it doesn't have IE installed at all. Oh, I imagine that I could cram IE onto a linux machine, but that is just more work.

Another issue I have is that I hate the structure linux uses for installing programs. Firstly, no two programs install in the same way. In windows, all programs are installed in Program Files and most of the time adding entries into the windows registry. In linux, program pieces are installed all over the place! There are a bunch of "bin" folders, "lib" folders, "etc", "var", etc. Some of a program is installed over here, some is over there, a little is stashed under the carpet.

So I guess that while I like the allure and promise of linux, I don't think it is there yet for most people for a lot of users such as myself. I don't want to have to mess with the "power of the command line". I want something that will work out of the box and no fuss. Sure, windows has it's faults, but is built to hit the ground running. I guess thats what you get when you have dominate market share... most things are developed for it.

One day it may work for me, but for now, I'll have to stick with what works now.
cannen

Postby smiffy6969 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:52 pm

hey I get your angle, and had a year of hell followed by a year of hopping from distro to distro, and one point i thought why am i doing this to myself, and then something just clicked. Now i can change people without a hitch, as i have done the pain and suffering for them, as a result i get less calls to fix computers these days.

When was the last time you tried it, the most important thing is that it changes so much in just a couple of months, it is increadable how fast things change.

First when you get to understand the way the file structure works, it starts to actually make sense somewhat, rather than keeping everything in one place, it does things like keeping similar parts of programs together, this actually helps programs better integrate with each other. While windows will have several copies of the same file in diferent places, one for each program with some files shared, in linux they all share, so less copies and better handshaking so to speak.

Just out of interest what did you last try, i'm not going to real of distro's, this is better that is better, as people have their own minds and will decide this by themeselves, but if you do fancy a tinker, you could try mandriva, suse for office environments, fedora allways seems to appeal too. If you fancy having it all ready from the get go, mint is multimedia supported to the hilt, dvds mps, wma flash (adobe) all from the go.

You will find people are also starting to support too, adobe doing well with things like flash pdf etc all instalable from their website.

I people don't like change but in this day and age i'd rather be secure than complacent.

Just for info I use the command line for one thing, to fire up my local apache server, apart from this i never use it, ever, im typing this now on an eeepc 900 with mandriva kde4.1 it has full blown 3d rendering on, with 3d desktop enabled, it's pretty quick and looks that nice it would make you foam at the mouth.

If you need to run apps in windows from linux, you can use virtualbox, it's a free and works very smooth, from there i can run anything, at the mo i have windows 7 beta on there for checking websites in ie8, and use fireworks.

I do understand your points, and i guess i'm just a natural explorer at heart. It's not for everyone, but for my childrens generation it will be a completely diferent scenario, they will not be bound by the same bounderies.

smiffy
smiffy6969

Postby cannen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 am

I currently have kubuntu installed - Gutsy I think. I was on it for about 15min the other night. I've tried pclinux and liked that quite a bit too. I like the way the graphics render in linux. They are closer to what you see in a Mac.

Certainly, there are things that I like about it, I just don't have the ambition to make it work for me. Maybe I'll try a lightweight linux install and then use VirtualBox to run windows XP. How well does Xp perform being virtualized under linux?
cannen

Postby smiffy6969 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:03 am

it works flawlessly, I used it under virtuallisation well.

If you want a mac centric version to use in this way, drreamlinux??? it's very mac like, is debian based (ubuntu too)....

I see you said kubuntu, thats interesting, you have tried all kde distro's, im a KDE man myself. Why not try mandriva, it is what pclinuxos is based on, it's what i run at home, not the best linux distro but stable and good hardware support.

smiffy
smiffy6969

Postby cannen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:22 pm

I'll have to give mandriva a try. I like KDE-3 over Gnome - it's probably the windows guy in me - it seems like a more logical flow. I haven't decided on KDE-4 yet. The menu structure seems like windows vista too me and I'm not really a fan of that.

I've installed ubuntu and kubuntu onto my laptop and a desktop in the past. Currently, kubuntu is working on the desktop, but I have never had any luck getting them to work on my laptop. I always have video and sound problems. XORG doesn't have my resolution set and I haven't figured out the correct way to edit it for the laptop. PClinux works good on the laptop though.

If linux is lightweight enough where virtualization doesn't bog down like it's windows cousins, I think maybe I'll have to try that. That way, I can have multiple windows installs for different things and try to use linux for other day-to-day tasks.
cannen

Postby smiffy6969 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:27 am

In that case them, mandriva should be fine, as pclinux is a fork of mandriva, so your good experiences of pclinux should flow through to mandriva.

KDE4 is a mixed beast, you will find in mandriva the menu is exactly the same as default kde3 the whole huge vista type menu is a diferent type of menu, mandriva do nt use it.

Please bare in mind thouhg, whilst kde4 is new and looking great, it is still a little buggy, and should not really be considered for work machines, ie machines you depend on, I use it but then i can sort out issues as they come. It is about 80 ish percent there so bare that in mind.

mandriva 2007 may be a better try if you can find an iso, if not I might be able to put ne on my web space.

I think you may have been tarred with the whole ubuntu family brush, I will not say anything either way but there are lots of other distros out there as good and better than that family of distros, so don't let any of those quirks set your mind, it's a whole completely different world.

All i will say is, you will play about until you find the one that just works, pclinux did it for me, mandriva is good too i find, fedora, suse too so try them before making your mind up, you will see how they all differ alot.

And if you find a version that works on a lappy, stick with it....... i'm having a mare with a friends fujitsu siemens v2040, it's being a real pig......

smiffy
smiffy6969

Postby pete284 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:15 pm

I use Mint Linux which is a derivative of Ubuntu. It comes with all the codecs for playing DVDs and MP3's out of the box and has a much nicer interface.

You can also use linux booting from a USB pendrive and you can find out here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

It saves you re-partitioning drives or as in my case when I have Sat Nav and Speed Camera software that is only available for Windows you have the best of both worlds.

With the latest news that Windows 7 will be pushing advertising to your desktop in the new year without your permission now might be a good time to give Linux a try.
pete284

Postby smiffy6969 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:50 pm

I'm using mint now, I like it alot, had a few boot issues boot last update seems to have sorted this.

I am waiting for lastest mint KDE, i am a kde guy, but have been using gnome for some time whilst they sort there mess out, 4.3.2 should be the answer.....

smiffy
smiffy6969

Postby Adminer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi!

I discovered Linux Mint 8.0 Helena with Gnome - http://linuxmint.com/ - This is my the first Linux distribution that does not irritated me ;-) I was started many times - and tested a lot of iso ;-) It was frustrating.
Now, I have instaled Mint 8.0 Helena. Everything what I need is working for me. Now! In 2010... green light... :mrgreen:
Adminer

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussions