Languages & translation question

General chit chat about razor, not specifically related to a topic but about razorCMS

Languages & translation question

Postby Jiff » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:44 pm

RazorCMS 1.2.2 stable
=========

Hi forumers,

I've seen that all pages contain a header
Code: Select all
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

and despite a test with 2 different browsers, where I left only the french language, this header doesn't change.

So, my questions are:
* Is this header directly linked to a translation? (AFAI see, the language package only concern the admin section!?)
* Is it not linked to translation, and what is/are the file(s) I must manually modify to have a french header? (which can only be temporary as I'll need to support other languages as well in a near future!)
* Nescafé? (what else?;)
Jiff

Re: Languages & translation question

Postby Adminer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Jiff wrote:RazorCMS 1.2.2 stable
=========
So, my questions are:
* Is this header directly linked to a translation? (AFAI see, the language package only concern the admin section!?)
* Is it not linked to translation, and what is/are the file(s) I must manually modify to have a french header? (which can only be temporary as I'll need to support other languages as well in a near future!)
* Nescafé? (what else?;)

You can find a file in admin/theme/default_admin_xhtml.php with the code:
Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

so, if you want to change this on fr in admin backend - do it. It's only needed if you have a problem with fr translation in admin section.

If you want to have fr header for public - you can do that:
a/ if you are using default razor theme, go to the theme\default_xhtml.php file, and change this manualy in php editor,
b/ if you want to create your own skin, you may have your own razor skins - and there you may have fr header as you wish ;-)

So, it's not to change in RazorCMS admin backend as default value - you must always change your national headers manualy if you need this.
In practice, you always will be the creator of your own skin theme- so, you can use fr in your header always.

Regards
Adminer

Postby Jiff » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Adminer wrote:so, if you want to change this on fr in admin backend - do it. It's only needed if you have a problem with fr translation in admin section.

Hmm, what do you mean by that? (in fact, I don't care the admin mgr being in french, so if I can avoid this translation it'll save me time:)

If you want to have fr header for public - you can do that:
a/ if you are using default razor theme, go to the theme\default_xhtml.php file, and change this manualy in php editor,

Well, I don't personally need it, but I think it is better for SEOs (really?)

So, it's not to change in RazorCMS admin backend as default value - you must always change your national headers manualy if you need this.
In practice, you always will be the creator of your own skin theme- so, you can use fr in your header always.

As said above, if that don't clobber the search engines classification I don't really care (I'm in a big town, so an accurate and precise referencing is essential to be top ranked).

Thanks for your answers.
Regards.
Jiff

Postby Adminer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:30 am

Jiff wrote:As said above, if that don't clobber the search engines classification I don't really care (I'm in a big town, so an accurate and precise referencing is essential to be top ranked).

It's assisting search engines. Sometimes it's may be inportant for SEO, because many robots wants to know what about is on this site, so there are "procedures" to easy translate the content of the page to classified. So, if I use 'en' declaration, but my site is in polish language for example - some robots may give me some negative points on the start, because they must have system to "recognize" what language is on the page and what about is this site.
So, if SEO (who cares in this time;-))) is important for you, better thing is to change 'en' on 'fr' manualy in razorCMS default theme. Just in case ;-)

Regards
Adminer

Postby Jiff » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks Adminer,

I had a doubt as I made some tests googling 'all the web' and 'france only' and it was very concluant.
I just changed it to 'fr' :)
Jiff

Return to General Discussions