Phoenix v2.1.... your input

General chit chat about razor, not specifically related to a topic but about razorCMS

Phoenix v2.1.... your input

Postby smiffy6969 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:33 am

Well, i had started initial thought on a side project but I think this can wait, lets get started on v2.1 instead.

I have several things I need to implement and several things I want to explore, but I also want to know your thoughts?

I want to fix/add the following...

1) Better bootstrap integration, aloowing users to take more advantage of whats available
2) Customised bootstrap version for razor
3) removal of razor_data unsecured data file, move to razorDB flat file secure database (as designed by me, yay), this also includes users, passwords etc, everything but page content (this keeps things compatible.
4) overhaul of language translation framework, integrate new context based language framework.
5) change of naming convention to "extention" and "menu", instead of blade pack and categories.

things I will not do until next release after this.

1) Option to total razorDB storage
2) change extension manager to broadcast/socket based object framework.
3) integrate new page building method

These are my ideas, my thoughts and feelings, and what I think can be brought in in a reasonable time scale, so nothing mental guys, keep your requests at least doable Also let me know how your getting on with the current workings.....

ta

smiffy
smiffy6969

Re: Phoenix v2.1.... your input

Postby Adminer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:47 pm

smiffy6969 wrote:Well, i had started initial thought on a side project but I think this can wait, lets get started on v2.1 instead.
5) change of naming convention to "extention" and "menu", instead of blade pack and categories.
smiffy

Hi!
You are going by "my steps" ;-) - so, my sugestions are:
- add a second infobar, as a rightbar or rightbox - very usefull, now I can add counter on the left, nice clock or something like this on the right column or between many menus in one column;
- IMHO, don't glue passwords in one database file. It will be very uncomfortable. Now, I can prepare www service on my localhost using simple login as pass, and after, I can use only txt database to "inkjet" razor fresh instalation - and in the end, when I do my first fresh instalation on the server, I can create new password there - and in the end, I have full working service in one step. For razorCMS support, it's will be more simple, when users can add a simple database file only to analise problems, without any passwords inside. And when anyone do backup or someone download or find that file - it's will be only simple backup. When admin change his pass many times, do many backups, and restore only random one - it's a trouble, what the pass was in this time?! ;-)
- database external file viewer for new db to analise records;

Regards
Adminer

Postby smiffy6969 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Second infobar.... I like this idea but maybe we need to think a bit bigger.

Make it so we can have multiple content areas per page and all we do is tell the system to serve the content based on the url. So what we then have is as many content areas as you wish. This is the way I was moving anyway, it sort of makes infobar items redundant. We can still support them, but rather than have another infobar, we make this multiple content idea work, then people can switch over at their own accord.

IMHO, don't glue passwords in one database file. It will be very uncomfortable

Thats not how my db works..... It works by using php files (as they cannot be parsed) as data. We have a table folder, and each file in the folder is a row in a db.

So we would have

pages
inc file (for row config)
1.php
2.php
3.php (these are rows)

site settings
inc file
1.php (this has settings in it)

The idea scales well, and allows as many rows as you can fit in a folder (dependant on file system)

FAT32:
Maximum number of files: 268,435,437
Maximum file size: 4GB
maximum number of files per directory: up to 65535, or less depending on file names
NTFS:
Maximum number of files: 4,294,967,295
Maximum file size: 16TB currently (16EB theoretically)
Ext2:
Maximum number of files: 10¹⁸
Maximum file size: 2TB
theoretical file per directory limit: 1.3 × 10²⁰ files
Ext3:
Maximum number of files: number of bytes in volume/2¹³.
Maximum file size: 16GB (1KB block) to 2TB (4KB block)

Given no one sets a system up on fat these days, we should be good for a large amount of rows. When we do hit max, we simply move to a second folder.

I have been using this db for a while now and it works well and now has caching and other goodies.

So in answer to the question, passwords would be stored a users folder, with the admin super user being the first row file (1.php). Simply alter this file to change your password manually just as you would today. So we get the benefit of a db type approach and the beauty of easy altering via changing flat files. Trust me once you get to grips with it, it is much cleaner, simpler and easy to use. We will definitely be moving over to this slowly but surely.

If there are any more dev type tools you need, by all means let me know, I like the idea of a db browser, maybe a way to just browser the new razordb and alter things directly..... That would be very good for configuring a system.

ta

smiffy
smiffy6969

Postby Irihapeti » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm probably being a pain, but I'll ask anyway...

Would it be possible at some point to make certain pages viewable only if the person is logged in? Sort of like a members-only area, I suppose. Yes, one can currently use .htpasswd, but I'm not sure how secure that is.
Irihapeti

Postby smiffy6969 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 am

Certainly... we are moving that way.

At present we have no method of providing a log in for users.... only a log in for admin access.

In the next few releases we will be adding a new flat file db, this will give us more ability to have more users... and to also set restriction levels. From this we can then go on to build a user extension so people may be able to build community type sites if wishing (with the community add on that is currently sitting in my head).

We are a little way off yet, but the next couple of release we should have true multi user access as soon as I have a good way to ensure flat file writing does not suffer collisions.

I will not be turning razor into a community site by any means, but I do want to offer a community add on.

So the answer is this is not possible yet, but is the direction I will be going in very soon once all the other pieces are there.

ta

smiffy
smiffy6969

Postby Irihapeti » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:38 am

Sounds good. No hurry, of course.
Irihapeti

Return to General Discussions