More help needed...

General chit chat about razor, not specifically related to a topic but about razorCMS

More help needed...

Postby smiffy6969 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:44 am

So big thanks to those that do help.....

Does anyone fancy helping out more?, I promise you good thoughts passed your way and a bottle of whisky at crimbo!.

I need the following to happen....

1) Documentation of the new system (Phoenix). I dont need half assed cut and paste, what I need is someone who has done this sort of shit before to help me. I am great at making things happen, making them move when they stop (hit with hammer) and also thinking how to get from a to f..... not so god at training others how the fudge I did it though.

2) Taking ownership of the forum..... I come here to help and adminer does a great job, but coming here stops me thinking about razor. I want someone to own the forum....

3) The razor front end needs a new theme, I would love to do this, but man I am struggling.

4) Addons... extensions.... whatever we call them we need them more than ever. Galleries, a community pluggin (razorDB can help with storage), ff forums,

5) all of the above

Now I need more than this I am sure (I have had a little drink so bare with me here) but I am asking for anyone that isn't adminer (you do too much already) to say yes I can do that, if only for a month, so i can spend the time coding.

I am happy to proof read, I am not your typical anal programmer! I will treat anyone trying to help with the upmost respect, so please if you can help us out.

[rant over], come on guys lets get the burner started....

smiffy

p.s. sorry but someone opened the whisky.
smiffy6969

Re: More help needed...

Postby Irihapeti » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Hmm... I've been wondering about offering help with documentation, since I have some experience with editing. OK, I've also written a bit of documentation, and I suppose if I looked hard enough I might even find some to link to.

The documentation that goes with the earlier Razor versions seems pretty good to me. I'd say that it's mainly spelling and grammar that needs cleaning up. (I can be horribly anal when it comes to spelling and grammar, which may or may not be a good thing.) The downfall of many open source projects is the documentation (when there is any), and Razor is already well ahead of the pack, in my view.

Only thing is,

a) I'm not sure if I want to do it entirely on my own; and
b) I don't drink whiskey :)
Irihapeti

Postby smiffy6969 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:54 am

Hello mate,

If you want to start looking into documentation then that would be terribly awesome..... he he.

I used to actually write docs for the MOD at one point, my grammer is pretty good when i put my mind to it, just getting lazy i think.

The problem I have with writing docs these days is I loose interest after ten minutes as my mind starts to think about getting the code in a place I want it.

If you want to own this mate, I am more than happy to support you (and any anal based editing too, punctuation and grammar is an artform lost to so many). I am happy contributing, proof reading, at present I just don't have time to spend hours and hours re-writing/creating new docs, if i did the code would suffer.

May i suggest, track changes, if your using word (god i cant believe I am suggesting using word) then track changes is simple, not sure open office has it. We could always try google docs maybe..... What we need to do is choose a platform and then control how we manage it.

So I suggest first step, we find a way of working collaboratively with a word doc, next get the current docs on there, and then when I have time I can blast stuff on with maybe you tidying up, putting my stuff right where I am being too lazy too, and also contributing yourself.

what you think, would this work?

smiffy
smiffy6969

Postby smiffy6969 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Ok, I already have a google drive account, so I will share the folder with anyone wanting to help.

In here I am creating the user guide first. I will then share this to allow others to contribute.

I havn't used google docs ofr aquite some time, I must admit, it surpasses word in smoothness and function, plus it should track changes automatically anyway by settign to work in collab....

I am very impressed with how smooth it works, so I think this may be the best way to go.

smiffy
smiffy6969

Postby smiffy6969 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Ok, so who is serious about helping......

The user guide is now on google docs already ;), you want to help I will give you access. This will also monitor changes that I can track.

things we need to add to this include

1) The new terminology used throughout the admin panel.
2) The introduction of XXS exploit check. This tool will monitor requests made through the admin panel, if a request to the admin panel is made which did not originate form the site you are running razor on, then it will intercept, stop the request and popup a popup stating that something may have been trying to fol you into doing something on your site without your knowedge
3) Screenshots adding in maybe, text only is a bit boring (leave this up to person helping to decide)
4) Spelling, grammer checking of doc
5) removal of file permissions check on admin home screen.
6) anything that has not been added already, maybe take a walk through the system and ensure it's all there.

Once updated I can knock a pdf out and shove on website.......

If it looks like people want to help, i will move on putting the dev guides on there too.

All you need is a willingness to help, have been around here for some time so I can verify you as being none maliciuos and a google account.

ta

smiffy
smiffy6969

Postby Irihapeti » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 am

I suppose I'd better go and get myself a Google account then (been trying to avoid the evil empire so far :) )

Incidentally, OpenOffice does do track changes; I've used it a lot.
Irihapeti

Postby smiffy6969 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 pm

If I have learnt one thing in life........ there is no company that is not evil when it comes to profits and share prices.... and all companies care a lot about their profits and share prices.

There is no company in my mind that is not evil to some degree, there all just shades of if you ask me.

Whilst I hate the fact I might be looking for something on one computer, and then I get adverts for the exact same thing on another, google have created some awesome free software (albeit to line their own pockets in the long run I am sure).

Thanks for the offer of help, and sorry to bring you that step closer to the dark side ;)

smiffy
smiffy6969

Return to General Discussions