Creating RSS feed from blog posts

Talk about all extensions including themes.

Creating RSS feed from blog posts

Postby termhn » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:44 am

Hello!
I'm using the blog extension to power the blog portion of a site I'm working on for a client. It seems to be working excellently so far! So for the next part of the project I need to create an RSS feed from the blog entries which I can then use within Engator to post to social media accounts automatically when a new post is made. Or at least that is my current thinking. If there's a better/easier way please share that too.

So I guess my question is how do you think the best way would be to accomplish this... I'm thinking it would be easiest if there was somewhere I can hook into in the plugin when a new post is made and take info from that and add a little routine that would update the RSS feed. However, I have no idea where to start looking for that in the code.

Thanks for any help!
Gray
termhn

Re: Creating RSS feed from blog posts

Postby smiffy6969 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:55 pm

That would probably recommend an extension that simply allows a user to hit the rars server, which performs a query on the blog db, this pulls a live feed of the data, compiles it to rss feed and serves it back with teh correct headers, I have done this a few times for other projects.

This way we have no feed to upkeep, just a feed that is generated from live data so it is always up to date and as far as third party is concerned, they are hitting a page and not a live feed.

I can probably have a look into this but I need to get changes to teh extension system out the way first, this will allow me to do a lot more.

I will be looking to get back on the cms in the next few days.

Paul
smiffy6969

Return to Extensions